Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Why start a blog?

I've always imagined myself ending up as the last person on earth not starting a blog.
And today, I am starting one.

It all began with search engines... enabling me to type 'Japanese fashion' and see names of designers that I've never even heard of before.

I love creative menswear.
I love the aesthetic.
I love the art and creative philosophy behind it.
And ultimately how it provokes me into new ways of dressing.

There is nothing like menswear design assembled in such a way that makes you see what else is possible in the everyday limited permutations of a man's wardrobe.

But scouring the search engines for extremely creative (but maybe still under-the-radar) designers proved to be difficult. For one, there is not one website out there that comprehensively lists creative or avant-garde menswear designers (or maybe I just missed it). Even if one exists, I am not sure if it lists designers and creations per country. Not having travelled much, I was always curious how the men in Japan dress up. Equally curious about men's fashion in places like Turkey, Antwerp and many others.

I do look at Men.Style.com and love the site.

Their list of popular designers per season is comprehensive enough and duly appreciated. Perhaps for the purpose of brevity or focus, they could not really list every menswear designer on the planet. And to be fair, they do include up and coming designers in their list and in their features.

I have nothing against big names and labels.
Just because they are commercial does not mean that they are less creative than the under-the-radar ones.

The purpose of this blog is to see what else is out there.

Focusing on creative menswear designers that are not normally included in other popular sites.
Hopefully it will grow into a resource that lists these designers per country and feature photos of their collections per season. So that one can click on a country that he/she likes. Find a designer. Click on a sample of his work. And then easily go back to the blog and see his future collections.

The world of menswear is vast.
But scattered.

This blog is my way of making my own search easier.
At the same time, perhaps this blog can help others who search the same way.

No comments: